Skin Aging is a natural part of life, but there is a way to skin age “gracefully,” both from within as well as on the outside.
The choices we make on a daily basis -- what we eat, what we drink, how we handle stress, how we sleep, etc. -- all have an effect on the aging process.
Our environment also greatly affects the aging process, and the organ that stands as the first (and most formidable) defense against the litany of toxins and stressors imposed on our body by our environment is our skin.
How our skin looks and feels is one of the key indicators of health and aging, and researchers have divided skin health and aging into two categories:
- Intrinsic aging
- Extrinsic aging (photoaging)
Intrinsic aging is identified as dry skin, fine wrinkles, reduced elasticity.
Extrinsic aging leads to thicker, deeper wrinkles compared to intrinsic aging, and in severe instances leads to increased skin dryness, reduced elasticity, and pigmentary disorders.
Two of the biggest contributors to skin aging are air pollution and UV radiation.
Exposure to UV light, in particular, produces free radicals which produce reactive oxygen species that can attack skin cells. Furthermore, photoaging also reduces the synthesis of collagen I and collagen III, the main constituents of our skin.
Diet, exercise, sleep and stress management all contribute to the body’s ability to combat the effects of advanced aging and promote vibrant, healthy-looking skin.
To further help support the body’s natural defense systems and provide key nutrients that nourish, hydrate, and fortify the skin, we’ve created a revolutionary Skin Health Plus Advanced Skin Care Formula.
Benefits of Skin Health Plus Advanced Skin Care Formula
- Supports your skin's natural beauty
- Promotes youthful-looking skin
- Radiance & complexion
- Detox & antioxidants
- No Deceptive Proprietary Blends
Inside 1UP Skin Health Plus Advanced Skin Care Formula
MSM is found in all living organisms and is formed organically of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and sulfur. MSM provides critical support when it comes to the health, quality, and appearance of your skin.
In case you weren’t aware, MSM serves as a type of binding agent (“glue”) that holds together amino acid chains, which serve as the building blocks of all tissues (including the skin).
Also, MSM aids cell wall permeability, allowing important nutrients to flow through to cells to nourish and sustain them.
And, because of its positive association with collagen, MSM combats wrinkles by reducing the breakdown of collagen beneath the skin.
To top it off, MSM also regulates specific signals in the body that impact skin barrier, moisturization, and structural integrity, which are associated with the aging process.[2,3]
Boesenbergia Pandurata Extract
Boesenbergia Pandurata (Fingerroot) is an edible plant that is related to ginger, another prominent botanical with a long history of use in the culinary and healing arts.
Boesenbergia, specifically, contains a wide variety of bioactive compounds, including:
- And many others
The primary bioactive constituent of boesenbergia pandurata is Panduratin A, which not only offers skin health benefits but also weight loss support! Research indicates that Boesenbergia pandurata exerts an anti-photoaging effect, reducing the expression of MMP-1 and inducing the expression of type I procollagen.
Cell studies indicate that boesenbergia pandurata may enhance skin hydration and barrier function.
Additional human studies find that supplementing with boesenbergia pandurata benefits skin hydration, elasticity and skin gloss while also reducing wrinkles.
Hydrangea Serrata Extract
Hydrangea leaves have been consumed as traditional herbal tea in Asia for centuries. The plants have a variety of bioactive compounds that have been investigated for their potential protective effects on cell viability as well as the production of procollagen type I. Of all the powerful bioactives present in hydrangea, hydrangenol is the most prominent and has been noted to possess anti-photoaging properties.
Early research found that hydrangea serrata extract improved collagen fiber density and pro-collagen type I production following exposure to UVB radiation.
Human studies suggest that hydrangea extract supplementation may lead to an improvement in skin wrinkles, hydration, elasticity, texture, and roughness, indicating its potential anti-photoaging benefits.
Astrion™ is a plant-based compound that is patent-protected and clinically researched.
This next-gen anti-aging beauty supplement consists of a highly specialized blend of Astragalus membranaceus and Centella asiatica (Gotu Kola) to provide advanced hydration and antioxidant support. This ultimately helps facilitate nutrients deep in the skin to provide both nourishment and hydration.
Astrion™ has shown in studies to increase Type 1 Collagen production in both outer and middle layers of skin, as well as reduce collagen breakdown due to UV light.
Furthermore, research indicates that Astrion™ reduces the number and appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This occurs via increasing the body’s natural production of collagen and hyaluronic acid as well as increased absorption of proline and glucosamine (important building blocks of hyaluronic acid and collagen).
DracoBelle Nu is an exciting new plant-based extract prepared from Moldavian Dragonhead (a relative of mint).
DracoBelle Nu™ is rich in several flavonoids, and it has been found to offer improvements in skin moisture, elasticity and density.
A study including 32 female volunteers with sun-damaged skin found that daily supplementation of 200mg of DracoBelle Nu over a period of 8 weeks resulted in:
- Skin moisture increased by 14.4%
- Skin elasticity increased by 6.7%
- Skin density increased by 2.5%
Researchers believe that the mechanism by which DracoBelle Nu confers its benefits is mediated through the anti-ageing mechanism AMPK and FOXO activation. This leads to improved cellular defense, oxidative stress resistance, and cell detoxification.
One of the key molecules involved in the aging process is hyaluronic acid (HA) and has been heralded by some as an “anti-aging superstar.” It is the pivotal nutrient involved in skin moisture.
Hyaluronic acid belongs to the extracellular matrix and possesses the unique ability to bind and retain water molecules. In fact, hyaluronic acid is most abundant in the skin, accounting for 50% of the body’s total hyaluronic acid content.
Hyaluronic acid has a relatively short half-life, lasting a mere 3-5 minutes in the blood, less than a day in the skin and 1-3 weeks in the cartilage.
Supplementation with varying doses of hyaluronic acid (120-240mg per day) has been reported to reduce wrinkles and promote more hydrated, youthful-looking skin.[11,12]
Verbasnol is a novel free radical scavenger and skin-nourishing supplement derived from Rehmannia glutinosa -- an herb used for centuries in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
The potent bioactives contained within Verbasnol help fortify the skin with antioxidants and boost the skin's natural ability to fight free radical damage, thereby countering the hazardous effects of excessive sunlight, oxidative stress, and dryness all the while supporting skin hydration and elasticity.
- Muizzuddin N, Benjamin R. Beauty from within: Oral administration of a sulfur-containing supplement methylsulfonylmethane improves signs of skin ageing. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2020 Feb 21:1-10. doi: 10.1024/0300-9831/a000643. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32083522.
- Anthonavage M, Benjamin R, Withee E. Effects of Oral Supplementation With Methylsulfonylmethane on Skin Health and Wrinkle Reduction A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical pilot study on OptiMSM®. Natural Medicine Journal. 2015;7(11):1–16
- Shim JS, Choi EJ, Lee CW, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-1 inhibitory activity of Kaempferia pandurata Roxb. J Med Food. 2009;12:601-607.
- Woo SW, Rhim DB, Kim C, Hwang JK. Effect of Standardized Boesenbergia pandurata Extract and Its Active Compound Panduratin A on Skin Hydration and Barrier Function in Human Epidermal Keratinocytes. Prev Nutr Food Sci. 2015;20(1):15-21. doi:10.3746/pnf.2015.20.1.15
- Kim DU, Chung HC, Kim C, Hwang JK. Oral intake of Boesenbergia pandurata extract improves skin hydration, gloss, and wrinkling: A randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2017 Dec;16(4):512-519. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12343. Epub 2017 Apr 18. PMID: 28421656.
- Han H.S., Shin J.S., Myung D.B., Ahn H.S., Lee S.H., Kim H.J., Lee K.T. Hydrangea serrata (Thunb.) Ser. extract attenuate UVB-induced photoaging through MAPK/AP-1 inactivation in human skin fibroblasts and hairless mice. Nutrients. 2019;11 doi: 10.3390/nu11030533.
- Myung, Da-Bin et al. “Oral Intake of Hydrangea serrata (Thunb.) Ser. Leaves Extract Improves Wrinkles, Hydration, Elasticity, Texture, and Roughness in Human Skin: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study.” Nutrients vol. 12,6 1588. 28 May. 2020, doi:10.3390/nu12061588
- Wandrey F, Pickel C, Jongsma E, Ewald CY, Grothe T (2021) Evaluation Of The Collagen-Boosting Effects Of A Moldavian Dragonhead Extract. J Comm Med And Pub Health Rep 2(7): Https://Doi.Org/10.38207/Jcmphr20210102
- Baumann L. Skin ageing and its treatment. J Pathol. 2007;211:241–51. doi: 10.1002/path.2098
- Oe M, Sakai S, Yoshida H, et al. Oral hyaluronan relieves wrinkles: a double-blinded, placebo-controlled study over a 12-week period. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2017;10:267-273. Published 2017 Jul 18. doi:10.2147/CCID.S141845
- Kawada C, Yoshida T, Yoshida H, et al. Ingested hyaluronan moisturizes dry skin. Nutr J. 2014;13:70. Published 2014 Jul 11. doi:10.1186/1475-2891-13-70